Flows offer a more in depth understanding of specific mobile knowledge areas by grouping together related research.
Opportunities for developers continues to grow at an exponential rate within the mobile ecosystem. Mobile app development services are forecasted to reach $100 billion. Additionally, app developers possess the agility and creative thinking to disrupt established corporate titans.
- Mobile app development services, specifically app creation (coding), management, release, distribution and marketing, are increasing at a steady pace. 66% of all mobile apps developed are by 3rd party agencies or development shops.
- When looking at the level of mobile developer competition in the app eco-system, “The third major mobile OS after iOS and Android is now clearly Windows, driven largely by the Microsoft/Nokia partnership and underscored by the new Nokia Lumia 800,” said Scott Ellison, vice president of Mobile & Connected Consumer Platforms at IDC.
- BlackBerry maker RIM has seen a drop in interest from mobile developers. RIM smartphone mobile OS dropped 7 points to 21% and also the PlayBook by 6 points to 13%.
- Zeroing in on the Android platform developers are increasingly concerned about app piracy. It is estimated that developers have lost $10,000+ on average due to their paid apps being hacked and made available for free download.
- Mobile app developers are making in-roads into what has traditionally been sand boxed carrier services, i.e. instant messaging and voice. This in turn is threatening wireless carrier revenue streams and causing carriers to invest in emerging technologies to stay competitive.
Mobile Research in this Flow
- [Editor’s Pick] Mobile App Development Services Market Growing to $100 Billion
- Developer Interest in Android Tablet and Phone Drops, Apple iOS Remains King
- App Developers Take a Profit Hit due to Android App Piracy
- Mobile App Developer Interest in Windows Phone Jumps Dramatically
- App Developers Disrupting Wireless Carrier Revenue with Better IM and VOIP Apps