Close to a Third of Smartphone Users, While Social Networking on Their Device, Click on Ads in the US and Europeby Charles Stephens on Mar 9, 2012 • 4:00 am
More smartphone users are continuing to access social networking/blog content on their devices, with the US and EU5 (UK, Germany, Spain, France, Italy) showing 88% and 102% growth, respectively, in the amount of users that access such content almost everyday on their device. The activities smartphone users in the US and EU5 carryout on social networking sites are very similar, both in the type of activities performed and the proportion of users performing them. A majority read posts for people they know personally, update their status and follow posted links to websites. Almost a third (32.3% of US users, 28.7% of EU5 users) click on ads while social networking.
- 64.2 million US smartphone owners in Q4 2011 accessed social networking/blog content on their smartphone at least once a month (77% growth from Q4 2010), while 38.2 million did so almost everyday (88% growth from Q4 2010).
- In the EU5 (UK, Germany, Spain, France, Italy), 48.4 million smartphone users accessed social networking/blog content at least once a month, during Q4 2011, on their device, an increase of 76% from Q4 2010. While 25.5 million accessed the same content almost everyday over the same period, this translates a growth of 102% from Q4 2010.
- When it comes to the activities carried out by smartphone users, that access these social networking sites, a majority of US and EU5 users read posts of people they know personally (84.6% of US users, 79.5% of EU5 users), post status updates (73.6%, 65.2%) and follow posted links to websites (60.1%, 54.1%), based on Q4 2011 data.
- Reading posts, on social networking sites via smartphones, from other parties that the user does not personally know is also high among US and EU5 users, such as reading the posts from an organization/brand/event (57.4% of US users, 48.5% of EU5 users) and reading the posts from a public figure/celebrity (49.3%, 44.2%).
- Almost half as many smartphones users, that access social networking sites, post a link to a website (41.9% of US users, 37.5% of EU5 users) than click on one.
- 37.2% of US and 27.4% of EU5 smartphone users, that access social networking sites, received a coupon/offer/deal while social networking on their device, while 32.3% of US and 28.7% of EU5 users clicked on an ad while social networking on their device.
Source comScore (February 23, 2012)
Respondents & Study Method Survey of age 13+ US (10,000 mobile phone owners), UK (5,000 mobile phone owners), France (4,000 mobile phone owners), Germany (5,000 mobile phone owners), Spain (4,000 mobile phone owners), Italy (4,000 mobile phone owners), Canada (5,000 mobile phone owners, reported quarterly), Japan (4,000 mobile phone owners) mobile subscribers