92.3% of US tablet users connect to the Internet from a WiFi connection, while WiFi Internet connectivity for mobile devices in general is at 40.3%. When looking at Internet connectivity by OS, 75.2% iOS mobile devices connect via WiFi and only 29.6% of Android OS mobile devices do the same. Internet usage patterns for tablets and mobile devices in general differ from that users on a computer. In the case of Newspaper sites Internet traffic from tablet users on a workday is high in the evening versus the morning on a weekend, while mobile devices in general are used constantly throughout the day and more so on the weekend.
- WiFi has allowed for increased Internet connectivity outside the home on mobile devices.
- A survey in December 2011 show has almost all US tablet users connect to the Internet via a WiFi connection, 92.3%, while 2 in 5 (40.3%) mobile users overall connect to the Internet via WiFI.
- Even with the availability of Data plans mobile users prefer to save money and not pay of extra for data plans on multiple devices.
- But some tablet users have are heavy users and so mobile broadboad plan help them stay engaged online to play online games, connect with social networks, etc, therefore it has been forecasted that more tablet users in 2012 will purchase mobile broadband plans for their tablets and possible reach the same level as mobile phones.
- When looking at the Internet connectivity of users by OS, three quarters (75.2%) of iOS mobile users connect to the Internet via WiFI while only 29.6% of Android OS users do the same.
- To further analyze the Internet connectivity of mobile devices a comparison on Internet page traffic for Newspaper sites was drawn, on a weekday and weekend in January 2012, between all mobile devices, tablets and computers.
- Weekday Internet Activity: The results showed that tablets were used mostly during off work hours to visit these Newspaper sites, while computers were mostly used during the workday and mobile devices, overall, were used in small instances throughout the day.
- Weekend Internet Activity: These results differed from the the weekday ones as the share of Newspaper site visits from computers dropped and was instead replaced with increased visits by tablet device in the morning and evening, while mobile devices overall were used constantly throughout the day but more than on a weekday.
Source comScore (February 23, 2012)
Respondents & Study Method Survey of age 13+ US (10,000 mobile phone owners), UK (5,000 mobile phone owners), France (4,000 mobile phone owners), Germany (5,000 mobile phone owners), Spain (4,000 mobile phone owners), Italy (4,000 mobile phone owners), Canada (5,000 mobile phone owners, reported quarterly), Japan (4,000 mobile phone owners) mobile subscribers